Photobucket
Photobucket

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Miss Moon's Musing About: My "Just Joan" Christmas...

My Christmas was very much inspired by the "Just Joan" episode of the television series "Girlfriends":

When Joan complains about the dating scene and her social life, Maya challenges her to empower herself, accept her singleness and go out to a trendy restaurant alone.


I decided that being newly single during the holidays did NOT have to be something to feel sorry for myself about! What better gift to give myself on Christmas than the gift of empowerment?!?!? So I got myself all dolled up and headed out on Christmas afternoon.. complete with my new favorite lipstick!!!!

Yes, y'all... I was rockin' a red lip on Christmas!!!!!!! I couldn't afford to dine at a fancy bistro, so I decided to do something within my price range.

So I took myself to the movies. I saw "The Darkest Hour" in 3D... It was actually a pretty good movie. I had a blast sitting in the front of the theatre with my popcorn and soda... dressed up to watch this adventure.




After the movie I walked around Downtown Brooklyn... And it didn't feel awkward, or pathetic to be walking around by myself on Christmas, in fact I saw a lot of people doing it.


It was an amazing day, and one I am very proud of myself about. There's a stigma with many women about going out by themselves to the movies or even to dinner, as Joan expressed in the episode of Girlfriends. Even my Mum who is in her 60s remarked that she had never dined out or gone to the movies alone before. She looked at me with a bit of pride, I think... as I decided to take the holiday into my own hands and set out on my own adventure that day.

Do I feel tremendously empowered? I will say this... I did have a kick ass Christmas, and that alone is empowering!!

8 comments:

  1. Good for you!!!  I walk aimlessly around the city by myself all the time and experience new things about myself and about the areaI walk around.

    Though I would NEVER go to the movies by myself...the last time I did that a man sat 2 seats away from me, pulled it out and went to town. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, good for you!  

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you too. Sounds like you had a good time too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes!!!!! I'm so happy to say that I've gone to the movies alone a few times and that (fortunately) has never happened... but I'm knocking wood so hard I might bust my knuckles!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, L... I did have a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mother was VERY proud of you.  You did something I
    could never do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Mum!!!

    ReplyDelete