Photobucket
Photobucket

Saturday, August 8, 2009

DOPE: "The Murals of Bed-Stuy" Slide Show

The first mural shown is one that is very close to my heart. It's around the corner from me and it's one that I've loved for many many years. I actually was given an opportunity to speak once with the artist, Floyd Sapp as he was restoring it almost a decade ago.

When I returned to Bed-Stuy from Corning, I was HEARTBROKEN to discover that the mural has been tagged and destroyed. On top of that, the bodega that owns the building replaced their awning with obstructs the what's left of the Cosmic Mother's face.

I am just so happy that this slide show is available online, so that you guys can see what I've always seen and loved. This is the side of Bed-Stuy you are not going to find in the newspapers or the evening news. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment