Monday evening, Chris and I went out to dinner with my soul sister/ace/bff Natasha and her sweetie pie, Robert. We initially had plans to go to BBQs, but apparently so did everyone in Brooklyn. LOL
We ended up taking a stroll over to Montague Street over to Lichee Nut, where I had the best Sesame Chicken I've had in AGES!!!!
I don't know if this is a general way to make Sesame Chicken, but most Chinese Restaurants in New York serve the chicken in chunks. Lichee gave us the option of having it shredded or in chunks, and we chose shredded. I enjoyed the food, the Plum Wine, the great conversation and company, so this recipe goes out to Tasha and Robert! We must go out on a double date again soon!
Flawless Sesame Chicken (Restaurant Style)
Recipe Courtesy of RecipeZaar.com
SERVES 3 -4 (change servings and units)
* 3 whole boneless chicken breasts
* 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon cooking wine or dry sherry
* 3 drops sesame oil
* 2 tablespoons flour
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 cup chicken broth
* 1/8-1/4 cup white vinegar or rice wine vinegar (depending on how sweet you want the sauce)
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
* 1 cup sugar (we use 1/2 cup sugar but the orginal recipe called for 1 cup)
* 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons sesame oil
* 1 teaspoon chili paste (or more)
* 1 garlic clove (minced)
* peanut oil (3 1/2-4 cups)
* 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1. Cut the chicken into slices. Mix the marinade ingredients (the first 9 ingredients listed) and marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.
2. To prepare the sauce: Mix together all of the sauce ingredients. Pour them into a small pot and bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Turn the heat down to low and keep warm while you are deep-frying the chicken.
3. To deep-fry the chicken: Add the marinated chicken pieces a few at a time, and deep-fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and then place chicken in warm oven (130 degrees) while you continue frying. Repeat with the remainder of the chicken. Just before you are finished deep-frying, bring the sauce back up to a boil.
4. Place the chicken on a large platter and pour the sauce over. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve the Sesame Chicken with rice.