Photobucket
Photobucket

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

D-I-Y Nappturaliciously: Mixtress Magic - Hair Recipes 101

I find it funny that my natural hair blog postings are called D-I-Y Nappturaliciously and I have never included advice on how to do it yourself. The reason? I am not a mixtress... despite my interest in herbology... I don't dabble in making my own products.

And I've been thinking I should start. When friend and  "blog consultant" Stephanie (hahahaha!) suggested I feature hair recipes for the blog, I scoured the internet for inspiration and found a treasure trove of yummy hair recipes that I couldn't wait to share, starting with recipes featuring what I call the Three Mixtress MUST-HAVE Ingredients: Honey, Shea Butter, and Coconut Oil!



Rosemary Honey Hair Mask

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup honey
* 1/4 cup warmed olive oil (use 2 tablespoons for normal to oily hair)
* 4 drops rosemary essential oil
* 1 teaspoon xanthum gum (you should be able to find this in health food stores)

Directions:

Place all the ingredients in a bowl (select a small bowl) and mix thoroughly. Pour into a clean plastic bottle with a tight fitting stopper or lid. Apply a small amount at a time to slightly dampened hair. Massage scalp and work mixture through hair until completely coated. Cover hair with a warm towel (towel can be heated in a microwave or dryer) or condtioning cap; leave on for at least 30 minutes. Remove by shampooing or co-washing lightly and rinse with cool water. Dry as normal.



Shea butter Crème
This recipe makes an excellent hair moisturizer and sealer for both natural and relaxed black hair. It also makes a wonderful body butter!

Ingredients:

* 4 tablespoons shea butter
* 2 tablespoon cocoa butter
* 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* A few drops of your favorite essential oil for fragrance

Directions: Melt the shea butter & and cocoa butter in a double boiler over a low heat until melted and slowly add olive oil. Pour the oils into a bowl, add a few drops of the essential oil to provide a light fragrance (Don't go overboard!). Put your bowl over another bowl filled with ice to allow the oils to set faster. Whisk vigorously until the mixture is light and fluffy (If you have one, use an electric hand mixer for this). Spoon into a jar, seal and enjoy!



Frizzy Hair Hot Oil Hair Recipe


Ingredients:

* 3 tablespoon Coconut oil
* 1 tablespoon Castor oil
* 5-10 drops Essential oil of choice for smell

Directions:

Melt coconut oil in a double broiler on low. Add castor oil, allow to cool then add your chosen essential oils.

Apply to hair, wrap hair in a towel for 30-45 minutes. Wash then dry hair.



Are there any Mixtresses out there? What are your favorite recipes? Have any you'd like to share? Drop me a line here and your recipe may be featured in a future Mixtress Magic post!

2 comments:

  1. Great recipes. I am really getting more into making my own mixes at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Do you have any recipes you'd like to share? Hook a sistah up! LOL

    ReplyDelete