Photobucket
Photobucket

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Yummm! Super Iron Foods!!!

So this particular blog introduction may venture into TMI-land, but a) I promised that I would share more of myself in this blog and b) I want to explain where I'm coming from. I've been living with menorrhagia for the past few months(Yes, months. With little to no end!). I've had iron-deficiency anemia since childhood, so as one can imagine, I've been super fatigued. It's become so frustrating because I feel like I've missed the latter part of the summer, spending my weekends in bed.

I think the lowest point was having my 65 year old mother, who has a bad hip and walks with a cane, wait for me to catch up on our way home recently.

I haven't found the cause of the menorrhagia (I think it may be time to find a new doctor!) yet, but in the meantime, I've been doubling up the iron supplements and I have been doing my best to eat foods that are iron rich, and thought I would share two recipes that caught my eye.

Iron-Rich Veggie Casserole

Recipe Courtesy of Spark People

Ingredients

2 c. mushrooms, sliced
3 c. broccoli, diced
2 c. asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces
2 c. fresh baby spinach
1 slice Swiss cheese, shredded
1 slice Provolone cheese, shredded
1/4 c shredded fat-free Mozzarella cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
1 c. skim milk
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus, and spinach in a 9x13in baking dish.
Combine the rest of the ingredients, except for the Parmesan cheese, in a bowl and mix throughly.
Pour the soup mixture over the vegetables and mix throughly.
Sprinkle Parmesan over top.
Cover and bake 35-45 minutes.

Number of Servings: 8

Black Bean-Smothered Sweet Potatoes

Recipe Courtesy of Eating Well

INGREDIENTS
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
1 medium tomato, diced
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

PREPARATION
Prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on High until tender all the way to the center, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place in a baking dish and bake at 425ºF until tender all the way to the center, about 1 hour.)
Meanwhile, combine beans, tomato, oil, cumin, coriander and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave on High until just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat.)
When just cool enough to handle, slash each sweet potato lengthwise, press open to make a well in the center and spoon the bean mixture into the well. Top each with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.

If you know any tips and recipes that can help this Brooklyn Geechee get some pep back in her step, be sure to leave a comment. Of course, once I know what's going on, I will be sure to post a follow up.

3 comments:

  1. YUMMM!! I just had veggie lasagna yesterday. I think that casserole will be a good selection for one of my Meatless Monday meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ L - Definitely! I deliberately looked for recipes that were fuss-free and looked delicious. I am way too fatigued to be preparing complicated meals! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first recipe looks very inviting...however I would take out the mushrooms (eeeeeew).

    ReplyDelete