Photobucket
Photobucket

Monday, July 2, 2012

Music Therapy with Miss Moon

" Every rejection is incremental payment on your dues that in some way will be translated back into your work."
~ James Lee Burke

" Life's blows cannot break a person whose spirit is warmed at the fire of enthusiasm."
~ Norman Vincent Peale

" Do not waste yourself in rejection; do not bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

" In so far as one denies what is, one is possessed by what is not, the compulsions, the fantasies, the terrors that flock to fill the void."
~ Ursula K. Le Guin

"Boy, am I GLAD for that CRUSHING rejection!" Said no one. Ever. In this lifetime, as well as the rest of time! Rejection sucks. Period.

I recently went on a job interview that really changed my attitude about rejection and about the disappointment that generally comes along with it. The day before, I received an email expressing interest in my application, along with an invitation to come to their offices the next morning to discuss the position. I immediately emailed a response, expressing gratitude for their interest, confirmed my attendance and quickly readied myself for the next day's interview.

This generally means taking off my usual blue nail polish in favor of one more interview-friendly, ironing my interview clothes and making sure I have copies of my resume and references printed out. 

The next day, I got up, showered, got dressed and shelled out $2.25 on my Metrocard to make it to their Lexington Avenue offices. When I walked in to greet the woman I was scheduled to meet with, I got the immediate "needle scratch" vibe from her. The look on her face spoke volumes. I was obviously not who she thought would accompany my resume. Whether it's my race, my size, my appearance, I don't know. And frankly, I don't care.

I traveled 45 minutes to get to the interview a few minutes early and ended up spending a total of 12 minutes in which I spoke briefly about my experience and my background. I've had enough experience with interviews to recognize that 12 minutes is not sufficient time to get to know a candidate, and that her decision to speak so briefly further illustrated her decision I was not her ideal choice. Despite her total disinterest, I sat in the chair with my back straight and head held high, and used my 12 minutes to speak about what would make me an ideal candidate. I knew it was like speaking to a brick wall, but I made the conscious choice to continue, if only to affirm my strengths in my own voice so that it's heard and sent out there into the Universe. 

I am creative, hard-working, fun, and will be a very valuable asset to some lucky company someday soon. I hope that the company I interviewed with finds what they were looking for, as I know I will find the right opportunity for myself.



When I made it home (Another $2.25 on the Metrocard and another 45 minutes on the train), I sent the woman I interviewed with a thank you email, expressing gratitude. Frankly, I wasn't grateful for her rudeness, I was grateful for her being the conduit of an important life lesson. I sent the email with the vow that a) If I'm ever in the position to have to interview an employee, I will always remember that they invested time and money for the interview and should be treated with grace as a result, and b) that I am a kick ass employee and I will put my creativity and drive into the best suited position for me!!

I celebrated this newly rediscovered affirmation of my own awesomeness with today's song pick for Music Therapy with Miss Moon. The song is a rejection anthem in terms of romance, but I think it can apply to any situation where you feel rejected, and not respected. I hope you all will join me in head banging and fist pumping to "I Love Myself Today", by Bif Naked.



You left me like a broken doll
In pieces as I took the fall
for you, you dumb chump!
You left me free-falling like space junk
Burning up in the atmosphere of life

Well I sound like a philosopher
but I'm a fool who's off her rocker
'Cause I let you in my heart that one last time

I've had enough, made up my mind
I'm gonna get up and out and wahhh!

I love myself today
Not like yesterday
I'm cool, I'm calm
I'm gonna be okay! Uh huh
I love myself today
Not like yesterday
Take another look at me now
'Cause it's your last look
Your last look forever

Well look at you you're all puffed up
In that big red truck- but you're outta luck (this time)
Well, that's tough
'Cause I'm on fire- too hot to touch
with a chatroom full of lovers on the line
Gonna step right up. Spit shine my soul
I'm gonna be proud and loud and outta control!

I love myself today
Not like yesterday
I'm cool, I'm calm
I'm gonna be okay! Uh huh
I love myself today
Not like yesterday
Take another look at me now
'Cause it's your last look
Your last look forever

I'm lookin' in the mirror and I like what I see:
I've lost the fear and the horror that's been eating at me
'Cause being with you is like a hangman's noose
I was living my life in dead man's shoes

I've had enough. Made up my mind
I'm gonna get up and out and wahhh!

I love myself today
Not like yesterday
I'm cool, I'm calm
I'm gonna be okay! Uh huh
I love myself today
Not like yesterday
Take another look at me now

I love myself today
Not like yesterday
You're dead and gone
I'm gonna get my way
I love myself today
Not like yesterday
Take another look at me now
'Cause it's your last look
Your last look forever!!

I love myself today 
I love myself today
I love myself today
I love myself today
I love myself today
I love myself today
I love myself today

2 comments:

  1. Wowzers. Some of the greatest lessons to learn are the ones that sting hard body. I am glad you came out of it enlightened and with your dignity intact. Not many people would've learned or grown from that kind of experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, J!


    P.S. - The link's been updated.

    ReplyDelete