Photobucket
Photobucket

Saturday, May 29, 2010

D-I-Y Nappturaliciously: Post BRAID-cation Hair Regimen

I am very much a creature of comfort. When I find a regimen that works for me, I hold on to it with a power kung-fu grip!

Yesterday after taking my braids out, washing my hair with my usual go-to shampoo and applying Miss Jessie's Super Sweetback Treatment (I have one more treatment left in the jar... still don't know what my final thoughts on the product will be... but I promise to post them! One immediate thought though is do not leave it in overnight if you plan on sleeping in late the next morning! After 12+ hours of keeping it in, that stuff stayed on my scalp and I had to scrub like Lady MacBeth to get it off!!!)

Okay, I got sidetracked, back to the story:

I realized that I was out of Healthy Hair Butter. While I seldom use HHB during warmer weather - I generally prefer more balmy substances for my summer braid-outs, I wanted to be extra nourishing to my hair after having it in braids for over a month. With the encouragement from my Natural-hair sistren on FaceBook (Thank you, Jazitones, LeAntionette and Mmazipan!!) I decided to try Oyin's Whipped Pudding, a product I love on my body but have never used on my hair.



Because the name of the game for me was "Moisturize & Hydrate", I also added a new product to the line-up, Jane Carter Solution's Revitalizing Leave-In Conditioner. I had purchased it for hydrating my braids, but the lightness and the smell has made me a convert!!! I finished the bottle on my hair this afternoon, but I am definitely going to buy another bottle to try it on my hair for another month.



After washing out Miss Jessie's SST with my hair parted into four sections, I parted each row, oiled my scalp with Jamaican Castor Oil, making sure I let the oil get into my hair as well. I sprayed the entire row with the Revitalizing Leave-In Conditioner, added a little bit of the Whipped Pudding and them worked it through with my Denman Brush..... My hair was in Seventh Heaven!!! I could almost hear "Thaaaaaank Yoooooooou!!!!" (a la Bill Murray in "Little Shop of Horrors")

I was running out of Leave-In Conditioner, so I decided to sample a bit of my Mum's, not realizing that it was not a leave-in, but Pantene's Relaxed and Naturals Wrap & Setting Lotion. I must say, I liked the way the front of my hair responded to it. I tend to have extra frizz on the top of my hair, and applying the lotion to my hair seemed to really minimize the frizz and bring out the natural definition of my hair!!



Once each section was completed, I added Avon's Dry Ends Serum and clipped the section down with a duck bill clip to slightly elongate.



This is the finished product. My hair is still slightly wet, so I am leaving the clips in for a few hours to let it dry!!



My hair looks ridiculously oily, but I can guarantee that my hair is currently slurping it up like a milk shake!!!



Close up of one section of hair.. love when my hair is glossy!!!!



Stretch test.... the back of my hair is completely APL now, and the front is getting there! I am very very happy with the growth I'm getting!!

3 comments: