Photobucket
Photobucket

Sunday, July 18, 2010

D-I-Y Nappturaliciously: Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Frizz Fighter Set Review

My hair has been taking on a life of its own the past few weeks.... a life I have come to name "Frizzeeda". While I love the way the frizz makes my hair look, I do not like the excess of tangles and dryness. For the past few weeks, I've been searching and searching for a product that would curtail the excess frizz without weighing my hair down and causing a lot of product build up, some I've actually liked for other reasons, but none has really done the job.


It's super cute, but the tangles and dryness I had at the end of the week were no bueno!! I want my hair to look good and feel good!

I remembered that last summer I did a braid-out using Kizzi 'Stay Put' Hair Pomade from Carol's Daughter (using the remnants of a HUUUUGE 16 ounce tub of the stuff from my days working for the company!) and loved the results. So I decided that this weekend I would get myself over to Carol's Daughter and get some tout suite!

I ended up getting the Black Vanilla Frizz Fighter Set ($46, Carol's Daughter)



This set includes:

Black Vanilla Shampoo, 8 fl. oz.
Black Vanilla Smoothie, 8 oz.
Hair Balm, 4 oz.
Kizzi “Stay Put” Hair Pomade, 2 oz.

I also got the Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner, primarily because I love it! I have never used the Black Vanilla Shampoo before, so I was excited about trying it out.

Recently I my Natural Hair Tips for the fantabulous blog Everything She Wants where I shared an epiphany I had recently: I don't need to lather, rinse and repeat as my hair cleanses thoroughly very easily. Since recognizing that... the stripping I've experienced with shampoo in the past has been a thing of the past.

So I separated my hair into four sections and braided them down, got into the shower, unbraided a section, applied the Black Vanilla Shampoo, lathered it up, and rinsed thoroughly. The first thing I noticed is that the shampoo lathered a lot more than I am used to with Carol's Daughter shampoos, which made me have to check out the ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamide DEA, Lauramide DEA, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Melilotus Officinalis (Sweet Clover) Extract, Rosa Canina Flower Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Glycerin, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Potassium Cocoate, Polysorbate 20, Polyquaternium-7, Polyquaternium-10, PEG-150 Distearate, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Caramel, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum)

Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate is supposed to be a milder alternative to SLS, perhaps a "lesser of two evils" sort of chemical.

Once I washed each of the four sections, and braided each section, I applied the Black Vanilla Hair Smoothie. The consistency was a lot thicker than I remembered, which I instantly loved because in my mind thick conditioner = more concentrated conditioning.



Yikes!! I need to get my eyebrows waxed!! LOL

Anyway -- I left it in my hair, under conditioning cap for about two hours, rinsed thoroughly and proceeded to doing the braids for my braid out.

I sprayed each section of my hair heavily with the Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner, which is just dope as hell. I then parted my hair in rows, applied the Kizzi and braided my hair down. I did this Saturday night, so I had to use my Mum's trusty hooded blow dryer just to ensure that my hair will be dry in time for work on Monday (Yeah, that's right.... MONDAY!!!!!!! LOL)



So far I noticed that after every step in the process, my hair was noticeably shinier and easier to work through. The Black Vanilla scent is addictive..... and I've missed the high! But what about the frizz fighting? We shall see on Friday, for my follow up on this review.

During the week, at night (possibly every other night) I plan on applying the hair balm to maintain the shine. I will be sure to take pictures during the week for the final results!!

No comments:

Post a Comment