Photobucket
Photobucket

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Music Therapy with Miss Moon

A few days ago, I was in Duane Reade picking up a few items, when I spotted a young boy, around 9 or 10, singing along to music on  his iPod. Very very loudly. Now, this isn't an uncommon occurrence. In fact, I see some variation of this theme on a daily basis.

What made this scenario so unique was that the boy was not belting out Little Wayne or Usher or WHOMEVER.... he was singing "Ball of Confusion" by The Temptations. His mother, I guess noticing me looking, jokingly asked him why is he taking it to the Old School. I was quick to point out how refreshing it was that a boy his age not only knew who the Temptations were, but he knew their music by heart!

Popular music is great (Whew! that sentence was hard to type!)... but it isn't ALL that's out there. I've always been of the opinion that if all you listen to is [INSERT MUSIC GENRE HERE] you're missing out on an amazing treasure!

So in honor of that mother in Duane Reade, I selected this week's Music Therapy with Miss Moon, "Bridging the Gap" by Nas Featuring Olu Dara. Thank you for sharing the vast and wonderful gift of music with your children!!! And thank you to my Mum and Dad (Who is having heart surgery tomorrow.. please keep him in your prayers!)







No comments:

Post a Comment