Photobucket
Photobucket

Thursday, July 29, 2010

DOPE: "My Everything" Liza Garza

I love living in Bed-Stuy, I am a PROUD Brooklyn Geechee. I love my neighborhood the way one loves members of their family: You may not the like the things that they do, but the love is unmistakable.

With love, I share this heart-breaking poem by Liza Garza to the fellas walking the streets (my streets and the streets all over the world), with a gentle urging to remember the women you leave behind. Peace from Brooklyn!





My Everything

they said we'd become victim to the streets
as if the concrete could creep up and catch us
in the midst of walking lift up and grab us
cock back and blast us
backhanded slap us
and we believed em
did everything to create some sort of distance
in between em
the souls of our sneaks and the hot pavement beneath
anything just to bring us a lil closer to heaven
as if 18 inches was the next best thing to ascension
in a life full of question
with answers camouflaged in every look of lust
never knowing who to really trust
so we stay strapped and we stay trapped
cycles full of sin
they trying to sift out our backs
or compromise our integrity
and in every choice there awaits a greater casualty
black Jesus pieces and pinkie rings
over sized white tees
and r.i.p.'s
the streets is calling me
or they might as well be
I'm a single mother raising two sons
who could potentially be toting two guns
in less then five years from where i stand today
and in less then four years my delivery would change in pace
cause I'm trying to catch up with 3 years fast forward in time
when in just two they height will match mine
zoom in focus to my life right now
smack dead in the face to what i write right now
if i could only make the streets seem less sweet
if i could only place a tear at their feet for every victim at least id have the hopes to sway them
with currents that run deep enough
sweep them with stories of misplaced trust
waves of lost love
and seasons that my body wont forget
how every year in late September, October the breeze can blow and
i forced to remember when
i loved him
and i lost him
all i got to give is the sweat off my brow
is the tears when they fall
all i got to give
is my everything, knowing i still could lose my everything.



To check out more from Liza Garza, visit her MySpace page at: http://www.myspace.com/lizagarza/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment