Photobucket
Photobucket

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

D-I-Y Nappturaliciously: Mixtress Magic - Simply Ayurvedic



I've recently started dabbling in Ayurvedic Hair practices by incorporating the use of Dabur Amla Oil into my Spring Hair Regimen. It's been a bit over a month, but so far my hair has responded amazingly to the oil: From root to ends, my hair is softer and shinier, and I've noticed dramatically less shedding  (which was a concern of mine). I've even started to notice a bit of accelerated growth, which wasn't my focus, but I'm taking it as a sign of happy hair!

I decided to search the internet (starting with a few of my favorite blogs!) for recipes we all can do at home to pamper our textured tresses. Here are a few simple options to start... your hair will thank you! :)

Henna-Coconut Milk Hair Mix

Recipe Courtesy of Natural Review by L

Ingredients:

- 100 gram of henna (Jamila or any kind that is body-art quality)
- Coconut milk (Use about 7oz. or as much as needed to create a good creamy texture)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil

According to L, this combination resulted in a consistency that was creamy and on the thicker side, which is a bonus because the thicker, the less mess!

Directions:

- Pour the henna into a clean bowl
- Add the entire container of coconut oil and mix thoroughly
- Add 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Add ACV little by little and mix, being sure to check the consistency (L used just a few tablespoons)
- Apply henna mixture to dry hair in small amounts without rubbing too much, but coating as much hair as possible.
- Cover hair with a plastic cap and leave in hair (people have left it in anywhere from 2-24 hours.)
- Rinse hair with water first carefully.
- Add your favorite conditioner to your hair and rinse several times.
- Once the henna mixture is completely out your hair, use your favorite deep conditioning treatment.
- Style as usual

Shikakai-Fenugreek Ayurvedic Shampoo

Recipe Courtesy of the Malaysian Yoga Society

Ingredients:

- 4 finger-length Shikakai Pods
- 1 Tbsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1/2 cup water (Distilled is best)

Directions:

- Rinse Shikakai Pods and Fenugreek carefully
- Soak in water overnight
- Remove seeds and any hard fibers from the softened shikakai pods (Reserve liquid)
- Bring seeded shikakai, fenugreek and soaking liquid to boil in a pot. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cool, blend the mixture until frothy like a milkshake
- Wet your hair and lather with shampoo, rinse and repeat if desired.
- Follow up with your favorite conditioner


Ayurvedic Hair Cream

Recipe Courtesy of Natural Beauty Workshop

Ingredients:

- 1 ounce Amla Oil
- 1 ounces Mahabhringraj Oil
- 2 ounces Shealoe Butter (Found a great recipe from Natural Hair Rules!)

Directions:

- Gently melt the Shealoe Butter over medium heat in a double boiler.
- As soon as the Shealoe Butter has softened into a liquid, remove it from the heat and add the two Ayurvedic Oils.
- Whip the mixture until it cools. The cream should thicken slightly as it cools down, but will not become firm. If desired, add a few drops of your favorite Absolute, Attar, or Essential Oil. Jasmine Absolute would be a great choice.
- Transfer the mixture to a clean jar and allow it to cool completely.

6 comments:

  1. I have been using Amla for 11 years now! An Indian friend back in college recommended it! She said it's good for hair growth I never had a problem with haor growth but it's an added benefit and as you said it's a sign of healthy hair and it 's true that it leaves the hair shinier and softer!
    I have a few post on my blog on natural hair!
    http://goodhealthdiva.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-am-coming-out-call-to-naturals.html
    I appreciate your musing I love music...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much following, for your comment and your kind words, N'na!!! Your blog looks amazing! I will be sure to visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna do this! I think I will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tried this last night! Wow, it was so much easier to rinse out! And my hair loved it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright!!! I'm so glad!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete