Tuesday, April 5, 2011
I've recently started dabbling in Ayurvedic Hair practices by incorporating the use of Dabur Amla Oil into my Spring Hair Regimen. It's been a bit over a month, but so far my hair has responded amazingly to the oil: From root to ends, my hair is softer and shinier, and I've noticed dramatically less shedding (which was a concern of mine). I've even started to notice a bit of accelerated growth, which wasn't my focus, but I'm taking it as a sign of happy hair!
I decided to search the internet (starting with a few of my favorite blogs!) for recipes we all can do at home to pamper our textured tresses. Here are a few simple options to start... your hair will thank you! :)
Henna-Coconut Milk Hair Mix
Recipe Courtesy of Natural Review by L
- 100 gram of henna (Jamila or any kind that is body-art quality)
- Coconut milk (Use about 7oz. or as much as needed to create a good creamy texture)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
According to L, this combination resulted in a consistency that was creamy and on the thicker side, which is a bonus because the thicker, the less mess!
- Pour the henna into a clean bowl
- Add the entire container of coconut oil and mix thoroughly
- Add 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Add ACV little by little and mix, being sure to check the consistency (L used just a few tablespoons)
- Apply henna mixture to dry hair in small amounts without rubbing too much, but coating as much hair as possible.
- Cover hair with a plastic cap and leave in hair (people have left it in anywhere from 2-24 hours.)
- Rinse hair with water first carefully.
- Add your favorite conditioner to your hair and rinse several times.
- Once the henna mixture is completely out your hair, use your favorite deep conditioning treatment.
- Style as usual
Shikakai-Fenugreek Ayurvedic Shampoo
Recipe Courtesy of the Malaysian Yoga Society
- 4 finger-length Shikakai Pods
- 1 Tbsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1/2 cup water (Distilled is best)
- Rinse Shikakai Pods and Fenugreek carefully
- Soak in water overnight
- Remove seeds and any hard fibers from the softened shikakai pods (Reserve liquid)
- Bring seeded shikakai, fenugreek and soaking liquid to boil in a pot. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cool, blend the mixture until frothy like a milkshake
- Wet your hair and lather with shampoo, rinse and repeat if desired.
- Follow up with your favorite conditioner
Ayurvedic Hair Cream
Recipe Courtesy of Natural Beauty Workshop
- 1 ounce Amla Oil
- 1 ounces Mahabhringraj Oil
- 2 ounces Shealoe Butter (Found a great recipe from Natural Hair Rules!)
- Gently melt the Shealoe Butter over medium heat in a double boiler.
- As soon as the Shealoe Butter has softened into a liquid, remove it from the heat and add the two Ayurvedic Oils.
- Whip the mixture until it cools. The cream should thicken slightly as it cools down, but will not become firm. If desired, add a few drops of your favorite Absolute, Attar, or Essential Oil. Jasmine Absolute would be a great choice.
- Transfer the mixture to a clean jar and allow it to cool completely.